REACTION TO THE RECENTLY FORMED COALITION OF UNITED POLITICAL PARTIES (CUPP)
PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED BY THE NATIONAL PUBLICITY SECRETARY OF THE YOUNG PROGRESSIVE PARTY (YPP), COMRADE EGBEOLA WALE MARTINS IN REACTION TO THE RECENTLY FORMED COALITION OF UNITED POLITICAL PARTIES (CUPP).
All protocols duly ascertained.
1. We have painstakingly analysed political events in the last 48hours especially as it borders on the coming together of about 40 political parties including the PDP and APC to form a coalition known as the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) and wish to state unequivocally that the Young Progressive Party (YPP) is not a part of this alliance.
2. While we acknowledge the the democratic rights of political parties to synergize, it is our firm conviction that the focal point of any such cooperation should be the interest of Nigeria however when the crave for power, hate, selfish ambition and desperation becomes the motivation for such alliances then there is a need for Nigerians to be wary in order to completely avoid a dèjà vu.
3. May we remind Nigerians that there was a similar awkward alliance by strange political bird fellows in 2014 whose only interest was to wrestle power from the incumbent but only for us to discover their high level unpreparedness for governance in the first place and same scenario is about repeating itself hence, we cannot afford to allow these “dealers” who have come together to bargain who gets what from what is left of Nigeria to deceive us again.
4. Moreover, it is even an insult on our collective intelligence as Nigerians for the same characters who have been in the political space for over four decades especially from 1999 till date and known to be responsible for all kinds of demeaning statistics about Nigeria such as the nation with the highest rate of poverty, out of school children, maternal and infant mortality to mention but a few have suddenly become the symbol of moral rectitude and hope that can pull our nation out of this current murky waters of underdevelopment plunged into in the first place by them.
5. Enough of trading with Nigeria as if she were a commodity. There is no PDP or APC, patriots or victimized but what exist is the haves and have-nots and Nigeria may remain at the same spot or even worse if we continue to look helplessly without fighting for the soul of our great nation from these oppressors who are driven by greed.
6. What we need is a total departure from the old order. We need something fresh, inspiring and daring for Nigeria to exit same circle of rat race she has found herself for almost six decades. Nothing will change until we dare to do things differently in order to get a different and rewarding result.
7. The Young Progressive Party (YPP) is undaunted, resolute and want to use this medium to reassure Nigerians that we will not join forces with those responsible for our present quagmire and neither would it be said of our party when posterity beckons that we were part of those who mortgaged the future of Nigeria.
8. The once hazy political atmosphere is now becoming clearer and we are beginning to understand the stance of individuals and political parties in project Nigeria however the Young Progressive Party (YPP) make bold to say our party remains the only unpolluted and credible platform for all Nigerians both young and old who are tired of the current status quo. Join us today in this rescue mission of salvaging Nigeria from those who are bent on strangulating her.
Comrade Egbeola Olawale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.