PRESS STATEMENT – THE STANCE OF YPP ON THE MOVE BY A RIVAL POLITICAL PARTY TO DEREGISTER OUR GREAT PARTY
I PRESS STATEMENT I
May 30, 2018.
THE STANCE OF YPP ON THE MOVE BY A RIVAL POLITICAL PARTY TO DEREGISTER OUR GREAT PARTY.
1. It has come to our notice the news making the rounds on several media platforms on the move by a rival political party, the Young Democratic Party (YDP) to deregister our great party, the Young Progressive Party (YPP) on the basis of our party’s acronym and we consider it appropriate to respond in order to put things in proper perspective.
2. In as much as we would not have dignified a moribund entity seeking relevance with a response owing to the fact that the matter is already in court, we are however compelled to respond in order not to be seen as aiding the shenanigans of some characters hiding under the platform of a political party.
3. We are amazed that while serious minded political parties are busy consulting, engaging and propagating their manifestos to Nigerians, the Young Democratic Party (YDP) on the other hand had been busy engaging in a wild goose chase that will only end in futility and shame as the case instituted against the Young Progressive Party (YPP) as regards its acronym is baseless and lacks merit.
4. While we are not unaware of the possibility of envy as the impetus for this latest action owing to our party’s rise to prominence in just 10 months due to vision, hardwork and resilience, it is however laughable that a so called political party in Nigeria will stoop so low and begin to engage in mindless games, which neither strengthen nor add value to our democracy.
5. May we also inform all our members that our legal team is already handling the matter and and their collective view can be encapsulated in one sentence “the case is dead on arrival”
6. The task ahead is enormous and we can not afford to remove our gaze from the ultimate goal and that is why we are imploring our teeming members to remain focused, tenacious and continue to consolidate on our impressive achievements thus far recorded as this childishness from the Young Democratic Party (YDP) is a needless distraction that is not worth our precious time.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.