PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED ON SALIENT NATIONAL ISSUES
PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED BY THE NATIONAL PUBLICITY SECRETARY OF THE YOUNG PROGRESSIVE PARTY (YPP), COMRADE EGBEOLA WALE MARTINS ON SALIENT NATIONAL ISSUES ON JUNE 25, 2018 AT THE NATIONAL SECRETARIAT, ABUJA.
All protocols duly ascertained.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
1. It is based on the above statement by George Orwell that the leadership of the Young Progressive Party has once again decided to put on the toga of truth as it has always been our usual practice to tell the APC led government that the blood of innocent Nigerians being shed consistently will hunt the APC as a party in 2019. Blood is sacred and when something meant to be sacred has suddenly become common and worthless especially in a country like Nigeria that is not at war then we are laying an inevitable foundation for anarchy.
2. We strongly condemn the latest killings in 11 villages in Plateau State where over 80 innocent people have been confirmed killed by rampaging herdsmen who from all indications have become a more worrisome security threat than the once dreaded Boko Haram sect. This incessant killings has now become a recurring event under the watchful eyes of an APC government that rode to power on the mantra of change anchored on SECURITY, Economy and Anti-Corruption.
3. It is high time the APC led government declared a National mourning and emergency while also as a matter of National expediency rijig the entire security apparatus as we cannot continue to do things the same way and expect a different result. We are in desperate times that requires drastic measures to be urgently taken to completely halt the incessant killings that have now become a norm in a society where sanity should prevail.
4. We also condemn the just concluded APC convention that was characterized by violence even with the presence of over 5,000 Police men and two surveillance helicopters. This show of shame aired on National television shows among other things how not to conduct a peaceful convention and the outcome of this shambolic charade called convention is beginning to be a cause for worry because how can a party which cannot organize a credible convention organize or support a transparent, peaceful and credible elections come 2019.
5. The recently signed budget by President Muhammadu Buhari is also a cause for worry as the President rightly accepted the fact that the budget was heavily padded yet went ahead to sign a distorted budget which he said was in the interest of the nation. While we are still finding it difficult to understand why an APC led National Assembly and Executive will still continue to be at loggerheads over the budget year in year out, it will be a further insult on the collective intelligence of Nigerians for the President to tell us that the budget that was signed after 8months of fruitless work was signed in the interest of the nation.
6. The Young Progressive Party frowns at these distortions as there is no way Nigerians can be convinced that those distortions were not made to raise campaign funds in the forthcoming 2019 general elections. Budget preparation is not rocket science that the government continues to show high level of incompetence year in year out when it comes to the prompt preparation and submission of our budget. We advise the APC led government to automate our budget preparation process by developing a software that can aid seamless analysis and preparation of a flawless budget that can be submitted at least 5months earlier to the National Assembly for consideration.
7. Conclusively, we enjoin all Nigerians to be a part of the Young Progressive Party, which is the fastest growing movement presently in Nigeria with an uncommon capacity to transform our nation through the instrumentality of e-governance, knowledge driven economy and human capital development, which is the focal points of developed countries we aspire to become.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.