COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 22ND NWC MEETING OF THE YOUNG PROGRESSIVES PARTY HELD VIRTUALLY ON FRIDAY, 31ST MARCH 2023.
1. The NWC of the Young Progressives Party held its meeting today, 31st day of March 2023 and after extensive deliberations resolved as follows:
2. That the sale of nomination forms for the off season elections in Bayelsa, Kogi and Imo states should commence immediately and all aspirants interested in running on the platform of the party should visit the National Secretariat in Abuja to obtain their nomination and expression of interest forms.
3. The ratification of Saturday, 15th April 2023 for the conduct of party Primaries for successful aspirants in the concerned States, which will be held simultaneously in Yenagoa, Lokoja and Owerri. Also, the total sum of thirteen million Naira being cost for Administrative Charges, Expression of Interest and nomination forms was approved.
4. The NWC after applauding the tenacity of all successful candidates on the platform of the party in the just concluded general elections proposed a Leadership Summit in the month of May 2023 for all elected officers including but not limited to those who may not have won but successfully disrupted the political system.
5. The dissolution of the Bayelsa State chapter of the Young Progressives Party and immediate setting up of a caretaker committee after careful review of allegations bordering on gross misconduct that led to the unimpressive performance of the party in the just concluded general elections. Other State chapters alleged to have been involved in similar infractions are still under investigation as necessary sanctions for those found culpable will be communicated appropriately.
6. The plan by INEC to conduct supplementary elections in IKono/Ini Federal Constituency of Akwa IBOM State in 34 polling units instead of 17 is preposterous. While still grappling with the charade of 18th March 2023, the party will not hesitate to boycott the forthcoming supplementary elections if INEC insists on violating the 2022 Amended Electoral Act. Supplementary elections cannot take place in polling units where results have already been announced and uploaded to the INEC IREV portal. We will not be a party to this electoral fraud by INEC in connivance with the PDP.
7. The calls by certain individuals and organisations in Nigeria for the enthronement of an interim government after the 25th February 2023 elections is illegal, null and void. We are vehemently opposed to such calls as they are not in tandem with the rule of law which is the bedrock of democratic governance.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.