ANAMBRA POLL: PURPORTED PLAN TO STORE INEC MATERIALS
ANAMBRA POLL: PURPORTED PLAN TO STORE INEC MATERIALS IN IMO STATE IS A SUBTLE ATTEMPT TO RIG IN FAVOUR OF APC
- The Young Progressives Party rejects the purported plan by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to store election materials meant for the Anambra State gubernatorial poll scheduled for November 6th, 2021 in Imo State.
- Such a plan is an ill-conceived and illogical proposition capable of overheating the polity considering the mutual suspicion already existing among political parties as evidenced in the unprecedented numbers of pre-election litigation matters, hence it will be unwise for INEC, which ought to be seen as an impartial umpire to now become the agent of destabilization stirring needless and avoidable controversies.
- Our inability to have risen above petty considerations as a nation has made perception to be everything in this part of the world and it will foolhardy for anyone including INEC to think that keeping electoral materials whether sensitive or non-sensitive in APC controlled State of Imo would be without consequences.
- The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is by the above-stated reasons called upon to rescind every plan to store election materials in Imo State as events have shown that it is not any better than Anambra or any other States within the region and if proximity is one of the considerations, Delta and Enugu State ranks as better alternatives.
- Except there are other plans not known to Nigerians aside from conducting a free, fair and transparent election in Anambra State, the call for this logistical rejig should not be a herculean task as anything contrary will suggest that INEC is working in conjunction with the ruling APC to subtly rig the Anambra poll in favour of the latter.
- The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will do well not to mismanage the cooperation and vote of confidence currently being enjoyed from critical stakeholders as any attempt to go on with this plan against the popular demand of Nigerians especially the good people of Anambra State will be strongly resisted.
- We also call on civil society organisations and the international community for timely intervention in this early stage of electoral activities that will lead to a destiny defining election in Anambra State where the people are ready to ensure a radical change in leadership.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.