AKWA-IBOM GUBER ELECTION: LEGITIMACY IS EARNED THROUGH THE BALLOT AND NOT THROUGH INTIMIDATION, ANARCHY AND MURDER
1. It is no longer news that the charade that took place on the 18th of March in Akwa-Ibom State in the name of election was characterized by unrestricted violence, barefaced rigging and shameless vote-buying by the PDP in cahoot with some corrupt INEC officials and security personnel.
2. If what was witnessed in Akwa-Ibom is the definition of election, then we can as well return back to the stone age or life of mankind when in a state of war where life is nasty, brutish and short or how else do we describe the needless loss of lives in what was supposed to be an election when Akwa-Ibom State was not at war?
3. We mourn and condemn the senseless murder of some of our members and supporters in several local government areas across the State especially in Etim Ekpo and Ibiono Ibom where Mr. Abraham Bassey met his untimely death in the hands of militias working for the PDP.
4. What use is a victory gotten through the blood of defenceless Akwa-Ibomites who have been sacrificed because of the ambition of a few desperate failed politicians who are determined to retain power by all means. They should be reminded that legitimacy is earned through the ballot and not through intimidation, anarchy and murder.
5. The purported election that took place in Akwa-Ibom State will go down in history as the worst since the creation of the State, hence will not be left unchallenged through judicial redress so as not to allow the forces of evil to prevail because good men refused to do nothing.
6. We hereby reject the result announced by INEC in Akwa-Ibom State in its entirety as it didn’t emanate from a transparent, fair and free process and neither does it reflect the collective will of the good people of Akwa-Ibom State.
7. We also call on President Muhammadu Buhari, the Inspector General of Police and Akwa-Ibom State Police Commissioner to ensure the immediate investigation, arrest and prosecution of all those involved directly or indirectly in unleashing mayhem across the State that led to the death of some of our members.
8. In addition, our preliminary finding is pointing to a State sponsored violence aimed at delivering Pastor Umo Eno by all means necessary. To this end, the search light of investigation should be beamed on Governor Udom Emmanuel and some of his appointees and if found culpable, they should be arrested and prosecuted for murder as the immunity of the Governor is expected to end in few months.
9. No one’s ambition is worth the lives of the citizens of Akwa-Ibom State. Life is sacred and shouldn’t be wasted without consequences, which is why we will pursue this case until justice is done in honour of our comrades whose lives were cut short in their prime.
10. We enjoin all our members to remain peaceful and resolute as this blood mandate stolen by the PDP will be recovered and legitimacy restored to the right owner.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary.