AKWA-IBOM ELECTION PETITION TRIBUNAL: INTIMIDATION, VIOLENCE AND THREAT TO LIFE BY THE PDP ARE CRIMES CAPABLE OF DERAILING OUR DEMOCRACY
1. The unrelenting efforts by the PDP to subvert justice in the ongoing Governorship Petition Tribunal hearing in Akwa-Ibom calls for urgent intervention by all critical stakeholders and lovers of democracy.
2. While we remain committed to exploring every available legal and peaceful means to reclaim our stolen mandate, it should however not be translated as an act of cowardice by the rampaging PDP hordes in Akwa-Ibom State who have resorted to the use of intimidation, harassment and threat to life, which was evident in the recent Governorship Petition Tribunal in Uyo in which one of our key witnesses, Mr Daniel Akpan was threatened.
3. Akwa-Ibom is increasingly becoming unsafe not only for our witnesses but our Governorship candidate, Senator Bassey Albert as an attempt was made on his life by suspected assassins who shot at his vehicle on the same day. All members, supporters and everyone associated with the Young Progressives Party in Akwa-Ibom State have now become endangered species.
4. Desperate times calls for desperate measures, hence we call on the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Olukayade Ariwoola to as a matter of urgency move the ongoing Governorship Petition Tribunal in Akwa-Ibom State to Abuja in order to put a halt to the desperation of the PDP to cow everyone including the Tribunal into submission. It is important that the Tribunal continue to maintain neutrality, which is already threatened by the unlawful actions of the PDP.
5. In addition, we call on the Acting Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun to use the Akwa-Ibom situation as a litmus test and send a strong message to Police officers who have made themselves available as willing tools in the hands of the Akwa-Ibom State government. Adequate security protection should also be given to all our key witnesses and relevant YPP stakeholders in Akwa-Ibom State.
6. Conclusively, we call on our teeming members and supporters to remain law abiding and peaceful even in the face of extreme provocations, which just like power is transient.
Comrade Egbeola Wale Martins
National Publicity Secretary